Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cycling Lingo

I've had a jam packed week of school to start my November off with, and the result of this has been little to no riding at all! It's a strange feeling, I know I haven't forgotten how to bicycle... I just feel like if I've forgotten my schedule. I did a measly 26 mile spin last saturday morning I know that much, and now that I'm thinking I recall another 26 miles on Monday... a dark, and slightly chilly trip from the Lake Worth Bridge to the end of Palm Beach and back. This time change is really messing with my brain, it feels like it's 9 at night so I'm pedaling extra furiously to get back home, but then when the glow of a street light illuminates my computer It's only 6:45 PM! I can't complain with the extra hour of sleep we get though, but I'm looking forward to riding in the mornings now instead of the night because it's so odd. I was thinking how I could make this post more meaty and not just a scrap bone story, so I figured today I will educate you on the many terms of cycling. This has been a popular request by many, I get awkward gawks while saying words such as "peloton" and "pulling", so your in luck; because from today on you too will be speaking like a cyclist!

Talking like a cyclist is a major plus, we have tons of "hip" words that will spice up your vocabulary more than if you were to take a bite out of a dictionary. Plus they're usually short and have a nice ring. Here are the basics, the terms even a Rolling Resistor must know...

Cyclist: A person who rides a bicycle... get it, it's just like cutting off the beginning of the word bicycle and putting it in a plural form. It don't take Rosetta Stone for you to learn that one... hopefully.

Peloton: A group of cyclist, usually a large group consisting of more than 10 riders. It can even be hundreds some times; however, I'll still refer to my crew and I as a peloton when we ride.

Pulling/ Nose in the wind: The action of leading your peloton, or cycling buddy by being in front of the group, or him/ her. This is usually a bit more difficult because your enduring the direct force of wind, rain, acid rain, or  whatever life throws at you while riding at that moment. This action is usually referred to as "doing all the work" because not only are you setting the pace of the other riders, but navigating also. People who "pull" are usually tougher, stronger, or just darn stubborn; but theres one thing any cyclist can agree to, the best "pullers" are those who keep a constant, steady, and smooth pace. No going from 15 mph to 20 mph every other second. In peloton guys on the front do 25-30% more work than riders hanging in middle or back of the group with there heart rate nice and relaxed.

Clock/ Screen: The computer located on the handle bars of a cyclist's bike, it's also known as a speedometer, and records the miles biked for the trip, as well as the speed you are riding, the time, your average speed, and overall miles, etc. If your imagining like an iPad on our handlebars your a bit off... It's more like a small screen 1 inch X 1.5 inch, with one button in the middle. It's also available in a larger form with the ability to measure cadence, heart rate, power, and some even with GPS mapping. If you haven't already noticed, this is one of the most important tools we cyclist have, it guides our training.

Cadence: The speed which a riders legs are spinning, as of revolutions per minute. Typical cadence is somewhere in 75-95 rpm's range in normal conditions.

Lid/ Brain Bucket: A helmet (a must have for all riders, safety is key).

Bib: Cycling shorts with suspenders so there is no need to have restricting elastic waist band. Much more comfortable than regular biking shorts. Bibs has nice and some cases thick chamois (back in old days it was real chamois but now its synthetic multi density specialty foam) in the seat area. It looks like a luchador suit, and makes the extra hard bike seat more comfy, especially for longer rides + all the pros wear them.

Jersey: The breathable, light, technical shirt that zips in front and has 3 pockets in the back for storing snacks and other items. Comes normally in two fits race and club, race been in very tight fit with noting flapping around and the club is roomier looser fit. I prefer race fit.

Spill: When a rider falls or makes contact with the asphalt or ground. This action usually results in pain, frustration, or damage to the bike; sometimes even all of the above.

Road Rash: The result of a rider falling on asphalt, it's a scrape or patch of red, shaved, exposed skin, which is very painful but all the tough guys still ride the next day.

Tanks: The bottles in which cyclist carry their beverages in, usually a sport drink, I prefer Cytomax, but if I can't grab my hands on the powder, I'll settle for Gatorade mixed with water.

Clipless Pedals: The cleats cyclist wear, these shoes have a special plastic hook like attachment on the bottom and snap into pedals. I don't know what genius thought up the name, because not much thought went into it.... they clip.

Drop Bars/ Drops: The lower section of a cyclist handle bars, when holding on to the drops, a rider achieves greater aerodynamics, boosting speed, reducing wind force, and creating a more aggressive riding position. If your not the most flexible person this isn't the most comfortable way to hold your handle bars.

Well this should have you up to date on the latest and greatest cycling jargon, and hopefully I cleared up some confusion for you readers. if your already a cyclist today was a review then! I encourage you students to practice these terms and use them in your daily dialect; you'll confuse the boss, impress the ladies, and be the ultimate hipster.

No comments:

Post a Comment